Whether a person is deemed clumsy or not, falls happen. In some cases, a person is careless; however, in other matters, a slip and fall could be the result of the negligence of a property owner. When an individual enters the property of another, he or she expects to not encounter dangers and risks. Unfortunately, property owners may fail to notice or address these dangers, making visitors very vulnerable to these risks.

Slip and falls happen in many situations and locations. Based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, fall fatalities are nearly equally divided between men and women; however, it was found that more women experience slip-and-fall accidents. It was found that over 8 million emergency department visits are due to falls, which is the leading cause for visits. Slip and falls account for 12 percent of total falls at over 1 million visits.

The most serious consequences of a fall are fractures, account for 5 percent of all falls. It was found that half of all accidental deaths in the home are caused by a fall, and most fall injuries in the home occur at ground level, not at an elevation. Roughly 60 percent of all falls occur on the same level while the remaining 40 percent occur at an elevation.

No matter the location of a fall, it is important to consider what could have caused it and who might be responsible. This information could be used in a premises liability action, helping the injured party to recover compensation for losses and damages.