Home  Motor Vehicle Accidents  Who Will Pay My Medical Bills?

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills?

Dealing with medical bills after an accident can be frustrating, especially if someone else is responsible for your injury. Should you use your personal injury protection (PIP) or “no-fault” coverage, or pay with the coverage you have through work? Shouldn’t the insurance company of the at-fault driver pay your bills?

At Marder, Eskesen & Nass, Attorneys at Law, in Midtown Manhattan, we understand the medical and financial issues that you are facing. If you are concerned about medical bills after an accident, we offer a free initial consultation to explain your options and answer your questions.

What Are My Choices For Medical Coverage After A Car Accident?

New York is a no-fault accident state. That does not mean that fault is not important; it simply means that your own no-fault insurance, also known as PIP, will pay medical expenses and lost income up to a certain limit, regardless of who was at fault.

If another party was at fault and you suffer a serious injury that exhausts your no-fault benefits, you can seek compensation from that party’s insurance company. However, the other insurance company will not pay medical bills as you incur them. It will issue a check after your claim is resolved. In the meantime, you will need to find another way to pay your medical bills.

The most important issue after an accident is to obtain medical care. That is important for two reasons: to get better and to document your injuries for the insurance company. Several medical care options may be available:

  • Health coverage through your employer
  • Private medical coverage
  • Medicaid or Medicare

Often, you may need to pay back your insurance company once you receive a settlement or award from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Our lawyers will work to ensure that you keep as much money in your pocket as possible.

What If I Don’t Have Medical Coverage?

Some doctors will provide care in exchange for a lien on your recovery from your personal injury lawsuit.

What If I Was Injured In A Work-Related Car Accident?

If you were injured on the job, you are entitled to free medical care from workers’ compensation. You may be eligible for additional compensation from the insurance company of the at-fault driver.

For More Information About Medical Care After An Accident

Need help paying medical bills after an accident? Call 800-588-1579 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation with no cost or obligation.

Se habla español.

Start With A FREE Consultation

AV Peer Review RatedMillion dollar advocates forumAvvo