Home  Premises Liability  Hurt On Public Property

Were You Injured On Public Property In New York?

If you are injured on public property, you may assume that the municipal entity will pay for your damages such as medical bills and lost income. Unfortunately, municipal entities in New York are becoming increasingly aggressive in denying claims. Without a lawyer’s help, you may never recover the money you deserve.

At Marder, Eskesen & Nass, Attorneys at Law, in Midtown Manhattan, we are here to protect you right to fair compensation. If you were hurt on public property, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Call us at 800-588-1579 today to talk to one of our lawyers.

Providing notice of a claim: In New York, you have a limited time to file notice of a personal injury claim against a municipal entity. This time limit varies for different types of entities. To protect your right to file a claim, it is important to consult an attorney as soon as possible after an accident.

Are Municipal Entities Responsible For Injuries On Their Property?

Just because you are injured on public property does not mean that the municipal entity will pay you compensation. To recover compensation, you must show that the municipality was negligent. In general, this means the municipality was aware of the unsafe condition, or should have been aware, and did not take steps to warn the public and correct the defect in a reasonable amount of time. This area of law is known as premises liability.

Here are examples of negligence that may lead to a personal injury suit:

  • Trip-and-fall accidents on sidewalks due to unsafe conditions such as holes or cracked or uneven slabs
  • Slip-and-fall accidents on ice and snow
  • Slip-and-fall accidents in buildings due to spills
  • Injuries caused by falling tree limbs in public parks
  • Injuries caused by unsafe conditions in public housing
  • Injuries at bus stops and subway stations
  • Children who are hurt on a playground
  • Medical malpractice at hospitals owned by New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC)
  • Injuries caused by missing signs or nonfunctioning traffic lights

Our lawyers will review the circumstances of your accident and then work to create a strong case of liability against the responsible municipal entity.

Injured In A Park Or Other Public Property? Call 800-588-1579.

To discuss a possible claim against a municipal entity in New York, call 800-588-1579 or email us.

Our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for injured people.

Start With A FREE Consultation

AV Peer Review RatedMillion dollar advocates forumAvvo